Friday, June 28, 2013

International Exchange Column

Kemper Johanson
   5th-year Kochi City ALT

   An extended stay in Japan is all about overcoming the little things before they add up. It’s like having a bad day. It isn’t just a disappointing breakfast, an annoying boss, a traffic jam, or a family emergency. It all just adds up as I remind myself over and over, I’m having a bad day.

   A common complaint among foreigners is that people always ask the same questions. After “Where are you from?” and “Why did you come to Japan?” have been answered the conversation usually dries out. This can be for the better when I don’t really feel like talking to a stranger, but this overtly predictable conversation is not just the strangers fault. Did I have questions for them? Were there details that would allow this person to discover interesting things about me? I often imagine speaking to me is like talking to a stereotypical foreigner in the movies. “Yes, my friend, I coming from America. I wanting new adventures in Japan. It very nice.” It’s easy to understand what I’m trying to say, but I’m simply not ready to discuss international politics over a cup of coffee. These little introductory conversations do present an opportunity however. I can stretch my answers to fit into a grammatical structure I’ve been studying. I can slip in a new word. It will probably make me sound all the more foreign, but I will be able to giggle later about an opportunity seized and a new mistake made.

   There really isn’t a way to avoid standing out as a foreigner in Japan. Beyond skin color there is a willful adherence to our own personalities that marks us all. There is a certain freedom in being conspicuous however. It allows me to choose my own terms for standing out. I don’t have to worry about what I’m wearing. If I’m feeling really good, I might just treat the people along my commute to some horrible bike-by karaoke. Knowing everyone is watching somehow makes it easier for me to live like they aren’t. I think you can see this attitude all over Kochi. The street performers in Obiyamachi aren’t there for tips. They are there to do what makes them happy. It’s hard not to notice the person playing music or juggling in a shopping arcade, but it is also hard to judge them negatively. They are wearing their heart on their sleeve. I believe foreigners are observed in a similar manner here in Kochi.

   Kochi is a little city with a big heart. These vexations may not exist in a major metropolis, but I would much rather be an oddity in a community than a part of nothing at all. After all, life will never be frustration free.

6 comments:

  1. After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article.
    autoketing
    sales pop master
    sales pop master online

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s really extraordinary and informational blog such a good thinking. It's in reality a great and useful piece of information. I'm glad you have this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.
    y8 games
    friv3play games
    friv5 games


    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s really extraordinary and informational blog such a good thinking. It's in reality a great and useful piece of information. I'm glad you have this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

    zombs royale games online
    happy wheels games online
    five nights at freddys games online

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was an exceptionally nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to generate a really good article
    free brutalmaniaio
    disney bridesmaids hair salon games to play
    goalkeeper champ unblocked games

    ReplyDelete
  5. . Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well!
    basketball 2018 games for girls
    draw play 3 games to play
    bicycle simulator unblocked games

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want the whole world to know about this spell caster I met
    two weeks ago,  I cannot say everything he has done for me my wife
    left me 3 years ago left with my kids I was going through online
    when I meant this wonderful man's testimony online I decided to
    give it a try and my wife is back to me now and we are happily
    married again cause is too much to put in writing all I can say is
    thank you very much am very happy   Contact him today on oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348136482342

    ReplyDelete