Friday, March 8, 2013

Spring Recipe in Tosa

   Itadori (Japanese knotweed) is a large, herbaceous perennial plant, and is also called Sukampo, Itampo or Dongui. Its stem has uniquered mottles and peeps out from the ground. You can find itadoris easily and pick many of them since they grow in colonies. Itadoris are gathered early spring, preserved in salt and served year round only in Kochi. Itadori has oxalic acid, making it a bit sour.
   Here is a simple itadori recipe cooked in Kochi.

Sauteed itadori
Ingredients (serves four people)
   300g itadoris
   3 sticks of chikuwa
   2 Tbsp sesame oil
   2 Tbsp sake
   1 Tbsp sugar
   2.5 Tbsp soy sauce
   1 tsp Japanese bouillon powder
   A pinch of shichimi pepper
 
1. After preserving in salt, soak itadoris in water for a day to remove excess salt. Do not forget to change the water a few times.
2. Cut itadori 4-5 cm long and cut chikuwa 5 mm wide diagonally.
3. Put sesame oil into a heated pan and stir-fry itadoris.
4. After some time, add chikuwa and sake.
5. Add all seasonings except shichimi pepper and simmer over medium heat.
6. When the stock is gone, sprinkle some shichimi pepper and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I just want the whole world to know about this spell caster I met
    two weeks ago,  I cannot say everything he has done for me my wife
    left me 3 years ago left with my kids I was going through online
    when I meant this wonderful man's testimony online I decided to
    give it a try and my wife is back to me now and we are happily
    married again cause is too much to put in writing all I can say is
    thank you very much am very happy   Contact him today on oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348136482342

    ReplyDelete